“Motivation” means: “having a strong reason to act or accomplish something.”
All week I knew I needed to sit down and write this blog, but I waited…and waited…and waited. I was waiting for the inspiration—the “motivation” to do it. I read articles, spoke to friends and colleagues, jotted notes, and then realization struck: I needed to actually sit down and write, without worrying about run-on sentences or even expressing my ideas precisely, JUST SIT DOWN AND DO IT.
In that moment I realized that motivation gives you the REASON to pursue a goal, but only ACTION will take you there.
Whether your goal is eliminating chronic pain, eating healthier, improving your fitness, or something else, you need to start now and keep taking consistent actions toward your objective. Here are some tips to get started:
- Write down your goal, and why you want it. Prominently placed Post-it notes, as well as a vision board can bring your objectives to life.
- Set realistic, short term goals that can be achieved in the immediate future; success fuels more success;
- The mind is extraordinarily powerful, so use it to your advantage. Picture yourself doing what you wish you could. Think about what you would do if you knew you couldn’t fail. Relaxation therapies, meditation, yoga, and many other techniques exist to help retrain the brain.
- Don’t wait for motivation. It actually works the other way around. Get to work on your goal and the energy of your own actions will inspire more of the same.
- Use a proven plan and don’t be afraid to ask for help. Seek out others who have already achieved what you want– they will probably be more than happy to help. Self-help audio books are also a great resource and you can listen to them anywhere and anytime.
Now, my challenge to you…
What have you been trying to accomplish but blaming your “lack of motivation” for your lack of progress? Is it tackling a health issue, making a lifestyle change, or improving your diet and exercise habits? Today, try just one of my action items to get you started, and I promise that the small step forward, that ACTION, will give you the MOTIVATION you need to achieve your goals.
Need a little more help? Check out our new video series, #MotivateMe. In it, we talk to some of our friends to learn their secrets for getting and staying motivated. This month, we feature Melissa Vertosick, certified holistic health coach and owner of The Whole Life Approach.